- General Information
- Photo Galleries
|This Society, which now looks back upon a history of 125 years, has every reason to be proud. Formerly Omaha Plattdeutscher Verein, it has helped make local history and has taken part in the growth of our city and lived through its periods of prosperity and depression.|
First President, Henry Jasper
|In the fall of 1883, a number of individuals from Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) and Schleswig-Holstein joined together to form a German society in Omaha. The original group consisted of Gustav Boehnke, Henry Andreesen, William Niesmann, Henry Voss, Theodor Siewer, Henry Jasper and Henry Lorenzen. Officially founded on January 6, 1884 the Omaha Plattdeutscher Verein adopted the slogans "Jungs Holt Fast" and "Einigkeit Makt Stark." These mottos translate roughly to, "Men Hold Fast" and "In Oneness There is Strength."|
The Omaha Plattdeutscher Verein soon moved to the Germania Hall at 18th and Harney Streets. In 1901, the Verein moved to the Washington Halle at 408, 410, 412 South 18th Street. At this time the society had a membership of over 300 and was accumulating funds to purchase land to build a permanent clubhouse.